OPAL (Outdoor Play & Learning)
What is OPAL?
OPAL stands for Outdoor Play and Learning and is a mentor-lead school programme for improving playtimes. At Bexton, we believe that play is an important part of having a happy and healthy childhood. 20% of children’s time at school is spent playing, so we need to ensure that this time and our amazing school grounds are used to their full potential. If you would like to find out more about the programme, visit: www.outdoorplayandlearning.org.uk
As we embark on our new adventure, you may find that we ask you for resources and change the way the children use the school grounds. We want to make the most of our grounds, for more of the year. Therefore your children may get a little messier and be exposed to new challenges.
What are the benefits?
We believe that OPAL will help our children in many ways:
- To be more active; improving fitness, physical development and co-ordination
- Increase happiness
- Improve confidence, self-esteem and self-awareness
- Increase productivity and concentration
- Improve communication skills; negotiation, problem solving and team work
- Improve independence, imagination and creativity
What does it look like at Bexton?
We want to keep you involved in our project and show you some amazing builds and brilliant players. Keep your eye out on this page for any updates!
Each half term, we will send out an OPAL newsletter with additional information. Please find the links below.